Sunday, August 16, 2009

L'Chaim by Bryon

After a nerve-wracking day on Friday and a five hour had-to-be-there-to-believe-it fit of restlessness once she made it to the ICU, today was a very good day.

Vicky gave her a morning of luxury which included a sponge bath and hair styling. I'm sure there was more to it than that - countless applications of chap stick, several arm & pillow adjustments, gown changes, and oxygen tube realignments. All of which I know Vicky was happy to accommodate. She also made Holly a breakfast sandwich from whatever crazy meal was served.

Holly has had much weakness in her right arm and leg. This is from the swelling in her brain which is expected and normal after such traumatizing surgery. Today she was able to lift her arm and leg and do a little stretching and testing with an occupational therapist. She was also able to finally get some good sleep.

We're hopeful that she'll be out of the ICU sometime on Sunday. Today seemed like a giant leap in progress. Her pain was less severe and she seemed to be feeling much better overall than yesterday.

We are both so grateful for all of the love and support she has received from her family and loved ones. She knows she's loved and she is a lucky girl to be able to rely on so many people in such a difficult time. And she does not take that for granted. I've never known anyone who had so much genuine love for her family. With all the garbage and all the pain and all the thoughtlessness that seems to encompass the world, it's a breath of fresh air for me to witness such a loving family. And to be part of it.

When the surgeon met with us shortly after surgery and said they were able to remove the entire tumor and Holly was doing well it was the happiest moment in my life. I've tried to think of happier and I can't. I cannot remember ever in my life crying out of happiness. But I cried. Which has been happening lately more than I feel comfortable to tell anyone. So to help make myself feel like a man again I tore apart the shower plumbing at home and put it all nicely back together. Maybe it's cheating a little because I've had to do it a time or two before, but I'll take what I can get.

2 comments:

  1. Holly it is god to hear that things went well, we all and by we I mean the entire facebook community have been waiting to hear how things went. Just remember you are in our prayers at the hartshorn resident and I am hoping for the best out come. Like I said before keep those loved ones close, they are always the ones you can count on in a time of need. I am so glad things went well and Good Luck! Looking forward to the next update. Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that everything went well! I've been thinking about you all weekend. Keep updating when you guys get a chance.

    ReplyDelete