Friday, August 21, 2009

Greetings from my Dead Arm


Hello Everyone!
I am out of the hospital and staying in West Point UT with my mom and 2 brothers and my great dad just down the road, my best man Bryon is way to far away in Murray but don't worry he visits me every night.
First off I want to tell you all I am a bad writer, I don't spell well, I don't know grammar and I don't know when to make new paragraphs, You have been warned.

It's hard to believe that just last week at this time I was asleep and someone was trying to pull a tumor out of my brain, the surgeon told me it was very hard to remove and I lost alot of blood but it did come out. They ran it to the lab and I am very pleased to say it was a good brain tumor as far as brain tumors go, no cancer or anything like that. I went straight to recovery because there were no beds available in the ICU where I was supposed to be going. The nurse I had in recovery was not my favorite she seemed so put out by me and my request for drinks, I can honestly say I have never in my life been so dang thirsty! I asked her if she enjoyed her job because she didn't act like it. After about an hour they got me up to the ICU and I drank and drank and drank. I was so happy to see my family. I had a rough time in the ICU as Bryon wrote about, I guess I am a little demanding. More on the rest of my hospital stay later.

On to Briar Rose or what my mom and me have named my dead arm. After my surgery I lost all feeling on my right side shoulder to hip and sometimes my leg goes numb just to join the party. The frustration and pain I feel is so terrible. I can move it a little but i pay for it later with such aching. The occupational therapist gave me some activities to do like picking up objects (paper clips, pennies, dice) So I pick them all up and leave them in my palm and then try to place them on a table using my thumb and index finger without dropping, I haven't gotten very good at this task yet. I have also been practicing my writing it's pretty sloppy but surprising that I can do it when I can't feel my hand. I am hoping for the deadness to go away but all I can do is wait, I just wish that Percocet helped but since it is more of a nerve thing it does nothing. Well it's time for lunch and drug break. Talk to you later and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment